Thursday, June 11, 2009

The big sleep...fast times at Myrtle Beach

Well, you all probably thought I went to sleep and dropped off the face of my bed for a month. That's partially true. Since school has ended, I have gone through so much that I haven't had time to blog...until now.

It all started when I had my most "burn-out" semester at college ever. Some certain people were getting on my nerves to the point that I didn't come to a certain class some evenings (and I still made a "B"). The final few weeks of school didn't really involve studying as much as it did writing papers, taking online/open-book tests, and finishing a Web site (which is no longer available).

It was worth all the effort, though. I don't feel like I learned as much this semester, save for a couple of classes. I did make mostly "A"s and made the Dean's List (3.8 semester GPA). That was one of my biggest rewards of the year 2009.

My other reward has been coming in full and is still yet to come. I spent a great four days at Myrtle Beach. While there I went on my first helicopter ride, which can be an exhilarating and educational experience at the same time. We all learned what a school of fish is, so be careful if you see any dark circles in the ocean. My mom and her boyfriend were both revelations on this trip; she rode a helicopter for the first time (being afraid of heights) and he sang karaoke for the first time (I guess having stage fright).

I also visited Broadway at the Beach for the first time. There are so many great things you can do there, such as sample blazing hot sauces, go through the motions, feed fish and predator ducks, and enjoy delicious brick oven pizza (not quite Sonny's though).

I stayed at Coral Beach (recommended by TV's Travel Channel) while in MB, and there was so much going on there I almost never had to leave. We had a bowling alley/game room, a comedy/dance club, a music/karaoke bar, a general store, and some pools, hot tubs, and a lazy river to keep wet (going on the dolphin cruise at Murrells Inlet will also keep you soaked -- and salty). I was a revelation to many (including myself) at some of the karaoke nights. I wound up developing a fan club of many young women and men, and constructive criticism from a friend helped me become more polished for my fans.

We also visited several local restaurants to eat breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Hats off to Hot Stacks Pancake House (with my two all-time favorite waitresses Jennie and Kristen; the breakfast food rivals Spartanburg's The Skillet), Big Daddy's Charcoal Steakhouse and Saloon, I Love NY Pizza (resembles another longtime Spartanburg staple, Cosenza's Pizzeria), Michael's Pizza (kind of like Venus Pie), Amicis Brick Oven Pizza (much different from Sonny's), and a delicious Mexican restaurant on 501 whose name I can't remember. We also visited a Rose's discount store (haven't seen one in Spartanburg for at least 15 years) and a TCBY (delicious parfaits).

Finally, if you want to encounter a dolphin and get a salt bath, the dolphin cruise at Murrells Inlet is the place to go. The cruise is, at first, relaxing, but then goes into high speed with several waves (from people and the water). There were also some nice houses in view from the boat.

Part 2 coming later this weekend.

No comments: