Saturday, June 13, 2009

The big sleep...friends, family ties matter

When I got back from Myrtle Beach, it was the day before my 24th birthday. I went to eat with several friends and family, and we engaged in different activities such as playing miniature golf and arcade games, riding go-karts, singing karaoke, visiting the local flea market, art galleries, shops, and parks, and checking out Woodruff and Greenville (where there is a nice, new Barnes & Noble off I-385 and Woodruff Road).

I also got the chance to drive to Easley on Monday to visit my uncle and cousins who I had not seen in five years. Jeff is currently landscaping, still plays guitar, and looking to form a medical company with his girlfriend. His daughter, Camryn, makes great tacos, and his son, Sean, grew up to be a great kid.

My friends and I also got to meet and know Keith Sherlin, a local minister and police officer in Spartanburg; we all had lunch at Fatz Cafe. Sherlin has a new book out titled "How Can God Be All-Powerful and Totally Loving When He Planned a World with Sin and Suffering?", which is a Reformed Evangelical Despensational Theodicy weighing God's love with God's sovereignty.

Finally, I want to plug the many different restaurants and places that will reward you for being one year older. As a result of joining many different birthday clubs, I received E-mails giving me free/discounted meals and desserts from places such as Moe's Southwest Grill, Firehouse Subs (which was through "snail mail"), Ryan's, O'Charley's, Red Robin, Baskin-Robbins, and Cold Stone Creamery (and boy did I take advantage). Many movie theater chains also offer free movies to birthday boys and girls.

Speaking of free meals, June 5, my birthday, also happened to be National Donut Day at Krispy Kreme and Dunkin' Donuts. So you know I took advantage of the free doughnuts (with some hot coffee and frozen vanilla blend).

That concludes "The big sleep".

No comments: