Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The past 2 months, random events, and Internet TV

Hey all...well I'm sorry to say that, having a hectic school schedule, I haven't made the time to post much about my everyday life.  So here's a quick (edit: detailed) update on what's been happening:

Right before I finished school for the semester, I started a Facebook group for me and my friends to join called "Guys' Night Out" (aka "Night Out").  It was a group that I created in order to make sure we all got together weekly to go eat, do something fun, and hang out.  With the holidays around all of us went in separate directions with our plans for awhile.  We have started getting together again, but this time not on one set night out of the week.  

Gary and I got to see Jared for a few days as the semester started.  We had a cookout together, had coffee together, did some gaming together, watched a DVD together, and shared our spiritual happenings together.  

In related news, I also saw my cousin, Josh, who arrived here from a two-month trip to Australia.  He bonded with many of the people and tried many new sports such as skydiving, bungee jumping, and scuba diving.  Though he is no longer in Australia, here's his blog if you want to read it.  http://glenraven.wordpress.com/

I have also been quite busy with school and work, and I have been trying to balance both of those with my social and family life.  I am taking five classes this semester (Professional Writing, Webpage Construction, Ethics in Human Communication, Independent Study in Data Mining, and E-Commerce and the Internet).  So far this semester I have been learning to write better letters and news articles, use Cascading Style Sheets (CSS)/Dreamweaver/Photoshop, design better Web pages, think more philosophically about ethical communication, and how to do more cool things with my computer and Web pages (tracking data).  I am enjoying the learning experiences of each class, but sometimes it gets on my nerves to do the busy work or to have to get up to go to class (particularly when it's freezing cold in the mornings).  I was enrolled in six courses this semester, and decided to withdraw from one (Writing for the Mass Media).  I have learned the hard way that one needs to be mindful about taking an extra course, and to make sure he/she is not going to give said class less attention than other ones.  While it was a fun class, I didn't need this class as much as I needed the others.  

I also have rediscovered my love for video games by visiting the local Best Buy store and going to Tilt (at Westgate Mall) and Mr. Gatti's to play.  I still enjoy driving games and shooting games, but I am also enjoying the new wave of video game culture which includes Guitar Hero/Rock Band, Wii, and Dance Dance Revolution/Pump it Up.  I like these kinds of games because they help test my coordination skills and also help me to get fit.  

Finally, I have discovered the true greatness of another technical revolution called Internet television.  I started (and finished) a CBS Internet series that highlights the industry of selling pilots and getting work in Hollywood entertainment called "Clark and Michael".  Starring Clark Duke ("Greek") and Michael Cera ("Arrested Development", "Superbad", "Juno", "Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist"), this show seems to have taken inspirations from acclaimed comedy series such as "Seinfeld", "The Office", "Curb Your Enthusiasm", and "Arrested Development". This is a show so good that it should have been picked up for mainstream television (or at least Adult Swim).   I have also been watching "Scrubs: Interns" (the companion Webisodes to the now-ABC comedy series "Scrubs"), "The Office: The Accountants" ("The Office" Webisodes), and am getting into "The Totally Rad Show" (a geekly-news show reviewing movies, tv, music, and video games).  Internet television is so great because there are no limits on creativity and content (unlike more mainstream television, where gaining ratings and pleasing advertisers rules).  

It was great to catch up with you all.  I have some other topics planned for this blog in the upcoming days, plus a possible surprise...

No comments: