Saturday, December 3, 2011

Fall TV Comedies: Returning Shows - "How I Met Your Mother" (CBS)

"How I Met Your Mother" (CBS)

UPDATED: Added statement "but should be renamed 'Who Cares How I Met Your Mother'".

When "How I Met Your Mother" first started, I was in love with it all...addicted even. I thought this might have been one of the best comedies since "Arrested Development" had started (that's right). The show still contains the heart and depth (even more than the last couple seasons), but does anyone care who the mother is anymore?? This show is being dragged out to being the "Barney & Robin Show" or "Ted's Weekly Hook-Up Show", but should be renamed "Who Cares How I Met Your Mother". At times, the characters feel like "shells of their former selves" rather than "fully developing" characters. Neil Patrick Harris is still great and talented as ever (as are Jason Segel and Alyson Hannigan, and I think Josh Radnor and Cobie Smulders have both improved greatly in the acting and comedy departments); he was the one consistent variable in this show up until now. As well-developed as Barney is, he is no longer as funny or as quotable as in the past ("Suit up", "Legen- wait for it -dary", "Have You Met Ted?"). Ted and Robin may be the only relatable characters left on the show, particularly Robin. Her character has grown from a single, career-focused woman to one wanting love in a romantic sense. Ted, Barney, Marshall, and Lily all have great moments, especially Marshall in last year's episode when his father dies. My other problem with this show is that the episodes are not as memorable as the ones in the first few seasons (or even last year's). I still watch this show every week, but after watching an episode I can't remember what the plot was (same with "The Office" for awhile before Steve Carell's departure). What was once a great is now past its prime.

No comments: